Thursday, April 21, 2011

Earth Day Running Tip 4: Before you shower each day, run.

I will admit this tip could be hard for all runners. But for those of you where this can work, do it. I am fortunate to be in a job where I work from home. So I can plan my day so that if I have a meeting later in the day, I can get my breakfast in, run in, prep work done and shower before I have to run into a soul. But when you think of your water use from taking two showers each day [when it begins and later after your run] there's a lot of water being heated and used. Two biggest energy uses in a home are furnace/air conditioner and hot water heater.

I realize this is asking some runners to become early morning runners, so I understand that this tip doesn't work for everyone. But if you do work from home, you can make this practice a habit regardless of when you run in the day. So when feasible, wait for that shower until after you run.

No comments: